Total Pageviews

Monday, April 12, 2010

Lubuntu wireless with my old Acer

My old Acer Aspire 5000 laptop had been doing a fine job as a dust collector under my bed for a while since the xp install was getting pretty bloated and sluggish. Therefore I decided to wipe the hard drive clean and do a fresh install of the Lubuntu 10.04 beta 1. Overall i was very impressed with the speed of boot-up and operation on the old acer, my only problem was getting the wireless to work, since it has a broadcom card and they have never been the most linux friendly cards around. I did a little research and found this site http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43


It guided me through well enough and I downloaded the fwcutter program which is automatically downloaded the necessary drivers and installed them and on reboot the wireless worked wonderfully :).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment